Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Modesty in Social Media


My thoughts and convictions started coming together awhile back. Why I haven't said it yet is because it is difficult to kindly find the words. Difficult to say it without pointing your fingers at someone else. But, like most things I write about, it needs to be addressed. Not only does it need to be addressed, but it also needs to sink into your heart - as it has mine. The only way that will happen is for you to pray that God would give you an open mind to the things that HE wants to change in you. What I say, may be one of them. 
~
Awhile back, I found a modesty blog dedicated to showing you how to wear modern day clothes modestly. I was thrilled to find someone who blogged about what I stood for and practiced to the best of my ability. After being on her wonderful blog for awhile I decided to follow her on all her social media sights her Pinterest account especially.  I love Pinterest for several reasons. It's fun, it's useful, and it's nice to find all those free ideas for crafts and homemaking on there. What I don't like is that people think that Pinterest is a place to be free in what you really feel or love in your heart. I know that this is a blunt statement. It may not be what you think you feel, but "everything you do flows from the heart." When I followed her Pinterest account I was absolutely sure that she would be safe to follow and I wouldn't have to worry about my brothers coming up behind me and being embarrassed. But man is sinful and weak. And I was wrong in being sure that she would be safe. I was dissapointed... Disappointed in the sense that once again, someone didn't practice what they preached. She taught modesty, preformed it in person, but her social account did not. Why do I tell you this story? I tell this story to illustrate the problem of societies social networks. We are a contradictory people. We say one thing, blog one thing, post one thing, on the subject of modesty (or other subjects) and yet we contradict ourselves on the next site. If we are truly about modesty it will and should show up in our social networks. We need to ask ourselves before sharing, before posting: "Is this going to glorify God? Would I wear this if I were to go before God today?" And if the answer is no, then you shouldn't share it or look at it any longer. When we look at something that we wouldn't wear without making it more modest and share it, we have failed to protect the eyes and hearts of others who look at our pins and posts.
~
I write this in the hopes that you will see that our modesty standards - our christianity, needs to roll over into our social networks. I write this to remind myself  that I shouldn't blog about one thing and not obey what I preach. I do not write this is not to condemn you or the lady I mentioned above, but to help us realize what we are doing wrong, in the hopes that it will make us more like Christ. Relying and thinking on His strength and Mercy.


No comments:

Post a Comment